6 Proven Strategies For A More Productive Day

With so many distractions throughout the workday, it can often be hard to maintain a good productivity level. If you are finding that your daily output is not what it should, then this is for you. Often a few tweaks to your routine can be enough to give you the boost you need, we have outlined six daily habits that you can adopt that will do just that!

Tackle your most daunting task first.

We all have a few tasks that we have a habit of putting off and avoid dealing with. Brian Tracey, author of the book “Eat That Frog! 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time” suggests that you complete the tasks you dislike most  first thing in the morning before everything else on your to-do list. Deal with them at the start of the day when you are fresh, and your mind is clear and this will give you a positive start to your day.

Take a Morning time out

It is common to wake up to a phone full of emails, messages and phone call notifications. The natural instinct is to start scrolling and reading through these but resist the urge to respond immediately! Leave the phone where it is and give yourself 30 mins to an hour to just decide and outline your daily schedule. Plan what you would like to achieve for the day. This habit is a favourite of Howard Schultz, founder of Starbucks.

Get Enough Sleep

There is nothing more powerful than a well-rested mind and body. Not getting enough sleep can have a negative impact on your health and your productivity levels. Having good quality sleep can maximise your problem-solving skills and enhance memory. Try to ensure you put your screens away an hour before bed to allow that you can get good quality sleep.

Adapt the Pareto Principle

The Pareto Principle is that roughly 80% of our output comes from 20% of our input. To be highly productive and adapt this principle, spend your time on the 20% of activities that will have the greatest impact on your business. Although the other 80% will still need doing prioritising the 20% can reap rewards.

Quit Multitasking

Psychological studies have found that multitasking can result in lost time and productivity. Our brains are designed to focus on one thing at a time, spreading your attention over several tasks at once is more likely to reduce efficiency and encourages bad brain habits. It’s better and more effective to focus on one task and complete it before moving on to the next one.

Learn the art of writing lists

As a business owner or freelancer, there is so much that requires your attention throughout the workday. Writing a list of tasks makes it easier for your memory while helping to turn goals into a set of manageable actions. Having a list also makes it easier for you to prioritise what tasks need your attention first. Enjoy the sense of accomplishment as you start completing tasks from your list.